Our Ottawa Park historic golf course is not only beautiful, but is historic as well. S. P. Jermain, the man who established the Toledo Park System, is also known as the “father of public golf in Toledo.” Toledo’s parks were from the beginning open to the public. But in the 1890’s all golf courses were private. Mr. Jermain set out to do something about this, and in 1899 established a 9 hole course in Ottawa Park—the second oldest public course in the US.
The course became very popular, and in 1920-1921 was expanded to 18 holes. In 1922, the first US Amateur Public Links Championship [private club members were not eligible] was held at Ottawa Park, and the 100th anniversary of this Championship will be held here in 2022.
Designed and maintained by the Ottawa - Jermain Park Advisory Board Toledo OH © 2018
In 1977 many renovations and upgrades to the greens, tees, bunkers and irrigation was completed by Toledo's own world famous golf course architect Arthur Hills. Today, because of those renovations, Ottawa Park is known for fine greens of modern day excellence placed through the natural settings: settings about which S. P. Jermain had claimed " nature clearly intended for a golf course."
For fees, tee times, leagues, etc., contact the course clubhouse at 419-472-2059.
As a symbol of appreciation for Mr. Jermain’s untiring work for public link golfers, a 2 foot bronze statue of him was cast and dedicated in 1928. It was placed adjacent to the course’s putting green. This statue (photo on lower left) shortly gained a notoriety of its own: it was stolen at least 6 times: the first in 1929, and the last in 2006. Whereas it was retrieved after the first five thefts, sadly it was never found after the 2006 theft. Your Park Board assisted the Friends of SP Jermain/21st Century raise the funds to have a replacement cast, which was re-sculpted to the exact dimensions by noted sculptor Brian Maughan, Yellow Springs, OH. This replacement was dedicated in 2010, and now resides near the 1st tee.